SSL 500-Series E Type Equalizer Module
The Solid State Logic E Series EQ Module for 500 Series racks reproduces the legendary sonic signature of an early 80s classic, the Solid State Logic SL 4000 E console channel strip, which has featured on countless classic recordings from the 1980’s to the present. The SSL E Series EQ Module features two different EQ’s found on editions of the console produced between 1981 and 1989. Each EQ has unique response curves and tonal character. Historically the type of EQ fitted in an individual console was distinguished by the colors used on the LF knob caps so the two flavors have become known as the ‘Brown’ and ‘Black’ EQ’s. On the E Series EQ Module you can switch between these two different flavors of EQ that have been loved by generations of professional producers.
- Immortal SSL 4000 E Series circuitry
- “Black-242” and “Brown-02” twin EQ design
- Versatile 4 band channel EQ
- Bell curve option on HF and LF
- Fully parametric LMF and HMF with Q
- Based on classic 611E console channel strip
A little SSL EQ history
Prior to 1989 SSL used the color of the Low Frequency EQ knob caps to indicate which type of EQ was fitted. All consoles were custom built and could feature different combinations of EQ module.
The following color codes apply:
- E Series BROWN: The original SSL EQ fitted to all consoles prior to the summer of 1985. Despite the rumors these equalizers only came in one version. The EQ card was called the ‘02’.
- E Series ORANGE: The infamous EQP equalizer. This was a variation on the Brown EQ with controls simulating the curves of a valve type EQ. Very few were sold. This card was named the ‘132’.
- E Series BLACK: The last version of the standard E series EQ. It evolved in the early 1980’s from discussions with many top engineers and proved very popular. The EQ card was called the ‘242’.